[GRASS-dev] Who wants GUI and who does not and why

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 02:15:17 PDT 2014

Hi Vaclav,

actually I'm a bit more extremist... :-)

I would like to split GRASS in three main parts:
- grass-lib
- grass-cli
- grass-gui

often we have these things mixed to each other, for example a lot of
GRASS modules implement functions that could be moved to grass/lib
(e.g. r.stats). I would like to see the CLI interface just only as
command line interface to the GRASS library, not more not less. At the
moment each GRASS module implement it's own functions.

The same is true for the GUI, inside the GUI libraries there are a lot
of functions and objects that partially implement functionality that
should be moved to lib. Again I would like a clearer distinction
between the logic/functionality and Graphic user interface.

These changes could help to reduce redundancy and reduce the code size
of the GRASS project.

Split the GRASS project in these three parts perhaps could help us to
clearly distinguish between functionalities and interfaces
(command/graphic),and we should re-organize the grass root
consistently.

Splitting the library from the CLI, should make easier other FOSS
projects to use the GRASS processing capabilities.

At least should be possible to build these parts separately, leaving
the decision to split in several packages to the package maintainer of
each distribution (Debian, Fedora, etc.).

Regards

Pietro