[GRASS-dev] GUI code dest dir

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 06:03:13 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> currently wxGUI code is placed by building system in `etc` directory.
>> I would say that more appropriate would be to put `gui` directory into
>> root, so at the same level as `bin` or `scripts`.
>>
>> Simirarly python libs are placed also in `etc` directory. They should
>> probably go to `lib\python` instead of `etc\python`.
>>
>> Any opinion?
>>
>> I'm for the reform. Please, consider also other related issues.
>
> The same layout for src and dist would be good for editing because then
> editors, python and other tools can just use the layout in src and it will
> work. This would mean that things which are now in `lib/python` should go
> to something which is named `grass` so that I can do
>
> import grass.script
>
> in the source code and it will work. Maybe separate directory for python
> libs in src root would enable this option?
>
> Note that for C/C++ code we have a similar issue. In the source code,
> includes are in `include` but in distribution they are in `include/grass`
> so you have to do
>
> #include grass/raster.h
>
> but if you are editing source code in some clever editor and you want to
> jump from the .c file to the header, you cannot since there is no `grass`
> directory in src. This applies also for code completion etc. Of course, you
> can set the editor so that it finds the files in dist but you don't want to
> jump to dist, but to source code.

Another reason for having src and dist code with the same layout in case of
Python is the documentation. The Doxygen is currently quite messy:

http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/namespaces.html
contains grass, python, all GUI packages/namespaces individually and few
others

http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/namespacegrass.html
contains script and temporal but they are different from those in python

http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/namespacepython.html
contains what is in src/lib/python

Vaclav