[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Apr 28 12:32:40 PDT 2014

Hamish wrote:

>I think that's more a reflection on the way things are done in the MS
>Windows world: the last program to install itself wins.

yes

>Which leads to
>the usual 1st trouble shooting step on Windows after seeing if a
>rebooting helps: try uninstalling then reinstalling the program. Then
>the program you are trying to use becomes the last thing to be installed
>and magically wins again (but by breaking the previously installed
>conflicting software).

a not unusal way of fixing things ;-)

Moritz Lennert wrote
> On 27/04/14 22:52, Markus Metz wrote:
>> I do not understand this ongoing discussion on WinGRASS7+Python. My
>> proposed solution caters for all possibilities, in particular:
>>
>> - an existing incompatible .py file assocation
>> [add your workaround here]
>>
>> - changes in any existing .py file association after GRASS has been
>> installed
>> [add your check-at-startup-mechanism here]
>
> I think we just have to agree to disagree on this at this stage, and
> implement a solution that if not satisfying everyone, at least does not
> dissatisfy anyone more than necessary.
>
>  From the current discussion I take that the .bat file solution is one
> that will satisfy those who want GRASS to "just work" on MS Windows
> without putting any burden on the user. In order to not dissatisfy those
> who do not want GRASS to impose a specific version of Python, it should
> be easy to "switch" off the .bat file solution, i.e. by simply resetting
> PATH and/or erasing the directory with the .bat files.
>
> Can everyone agree on that solution (not meaning that you consider it
> the best solution, but that you can live with it) ?

regarding "who do not want GRASS to impose a specific version of Python",
have a look at:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/REQUIREMENTS.html

- Python >= 2.6 (for temporal framework, scripts, wxGUI, and ctypes
interface)
Note: Python 3 support is still in development
[...]
- wxPython >= 2.8.10.1 (for wxGUI)
[...]
- NumPy >= 1.0.4 (for various wxGUI components and pyGRASS)
[...]
- Python dateutil Library ("python-dateutil", needed for the tgrass modules
t.*)
[...]
- Python Imaging Library or PILLOW (highly recommended for wxGUI and
necessary for wxGUI Cartographic Composer)

so there are basically some kind of "minimum version of python and python
package" requirements; this has to be communicated in a clear way to users
"who do not want GRASS to impose a specific version of Python".

regarding "switch" off the .bat file solution, there may be some more work
than just resetting PATH and erasing bat files.

-----
best regards
Helmut