[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2396: proposal to rename v.in.ascii/v.out.ascii to v.in.text/v.out.text (or similar)

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 22 07:06:11 PDT 2014

#2396: proposal to rename v.in.ascii/v.out.ascii to v.in.text/v.out.text (or
similar)
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mlennert           |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  Unspecified        |
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Comment(by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:4 martinl]:
 > Replying to [comment:3 mlennert]:
 >
 > > One could argue, though, that v.in.ascii is the wrong (and thhus
 confusing) name since you can import files which are in different
 encodings than ASCII. But I agree that 'text' is not necessarily clearer.
 Maybe v.in.delimitedtext ?

 > it will not help to make it more clear. The module also import vector
 data in GRASS ASCII (text) format which is not definitely a delimited
 text.

 Agreed. Don't know if there is an easy "solution" to this. Maybe we should
 just live with our historical heritage and keep 'ascii'... Don't think
 that this should be a blocker.

 Moritz

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2396#comment:5>