[GRASS-dev] v.buffer don't write metadata and v.info cut comments

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 05:28:44 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to add a comment in the metadata of a generated vector
> map but the content is shortened. I'm in the NorthCarolina mapset,
> from an ipython shell:

[...]
> The command that generate the map is missing!

You can get the command with v.info -h.

For vector maps, the command (together with all previous commands used
to generate the map) is stored separately, not as a comment.

> Should I open a ticket on v.buffer?

No, this applies to all modules that create a vector: the command is
stored as command, not comment.
[...]
> As you can see the Comment string is shortened...
> but in the header file is written correctly:

[...]
> Instead the raster equivalent: r.info it is able to handle a long line.

The raster library splits comments longer than 68 chars into separate lines.

[...]
> should I open a bug on this?

Yes, as a fix for v.info. Should long lines be broken up by the module
or just printed out as is?

For historical reasons, the handling of metadata differs between
raster and vector maps. At some stage, this should be synchronized,
e.g. raster maps should also have a history and vector maps should
support multi-line comments.

Markus M