[GRASS-dev] Invitation to submit an abstract to EGU 2015 session on FOSS for GeoInformatics and Geosciences

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 14:04:09 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Yann Chemin <ychemin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anybody interested to submit some new development,
> please submit an abstract there:
> http://www.egu2015.eu/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html
>
> The Session is:
> ----------------------
> ESSI2.13/SSS1.8
> Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) for Geoinformatics and Geosciences
> (co-organized)

I'm not going there but we (grass users and devs) should definitively do
again a GRASS-focused poster. So far we have the general GRASS poster,
imagery and vector. I though we have also some raster poster but I don't
see it in SVN [1], is it somewhere else? Testing framework now also have a
poster [2]. As I see it, the possible topics are:

Temporal framework
basic concepts, API overview and use cases
There is a lot of people who already use it. If we list our use cases, it
could be pretty good and very different from the original TGRASS paper.

GRASS and Python
This would cover PyGRASS but also grass.script, .temporal, and .gunittest
A lot of people didn't notice that it is possible to use Python until
PyGRASS and Python API is considered experimental in G64, so it make sense
to do an overview.

There are other topics I would like to see but I'm not able to contribute
to them much. Topics which would be more about the usage of GRASS, but
would feature it, could be even better. However, this should be in
different session and it is really up to the concrete scientists rather
than general community.

By the way, are the posters and other material from grass-promo somewhere?
I'm wondering if it would be better to have these things on GitHub or
something similar. It is a bit more flexible considering access rights and
you get (possibility of) web pages automatically.

Vaclav

PS: I haven't mentioned authors but I think it's clear how it should work
whoever wants to join can join and authors of the code are included or will
be attributed in the poster.

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-promo/grassposter
[2]
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AGU_Fall_Meeting_2014:_GRASS_related_presentations_and_posters