[GRASS-dev] G7: v.mkhexgrid addon for hexagon creation

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Dec 27 15:29:23 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Markus Metz
> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The points are not "cleverly spaced". Attached is a python script that
>> generates center points of hexagons. The output of v.voronoi shows now
>> hexagons.
>
> Cool! Do you have a reference for ""cleverly spaced"? Just came across
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagonal_lattice
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagonal_tiling
>
> Overall, this point generator might be a nice extension to v.mkgrid.

For the record: Markus Metz kindly implemented hexagons in v.mkgrid (thanks!)

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/v.mkgrid.html
-h Create hexagons (default: rectangles)

(an example with screenshot will be online in 1-2hs from now, the
manual is building again at time)

markusN

PS: I removed the G7 Addon since no longer needed. And v.mkgrid is WAY faster...