[GRASS-dev] [SPAM?] Re: anyone compiled GRASS 7 on Mac Yosemite?

Anna Petrasova akratoc at ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 30 21:14:51 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks. The versions I now have posted work fine with Yosemite. But I have
> not yet compiled under Yosemite.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> What is: export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes?
>
> This is there to make it compile with 32bit wxPython 2.8. It depends which
Python you use, this works for the default Python on Mac OS:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/python.1.html

> Also, is the SQLite problem something to do with Yosemite or something
> else?
>
> I haven't had time to look at it.

> I’ve also tried with wxPython 3 but it looks bad. So I’m still sticking
> with 2.8 (which is why we need the 32bit Python).
>
> Yes, there are still a lot of weird bugs, some of them must be fixed in
wxWidgets, some of them I tried to workaround. It would be good if you
could describe "looks bad", there might be some things which i can fix or
at least workaround.

> Here is what I do before compiling
>
> # This is for creating a distributable binary that is backward compatible
> to OSX 10.7
> export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7
>
> # This stuff is for making sure that it compiles using 32 bit Python
> export
> PATH="/Applications/python/bin32:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:$PATH”
>

> # This is what I do for PROJ
> export NAD2BIN=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Programs/nad2bin
>
> # This is (IIRC) for LAS tools compiling
> export CXX=g++

I think I haven't tried compiling with las tools yet.

> For the broken xml stuff, I’ve just saved versions of menudata.xml. and
> module_tree_menudata.xml. I drop these into the proper places before making
> a binary. Can I just run make from the source root from within GRASS to get
> the same thing?

It is enough to start GRASS session (without gui)  and then recompile (just
the wxpython part is enough) inside the session. That's what works for me.
I don't really try to understand why, it's apparently some problem with
makefiles and setting the right environmental variables. I thought we got
rid of this problem (Martin fixed something) but apparently not.

Anna

Michael