[GRASS-dev] GSoc Project on GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 00:15:57 PST 2014

Naveen wrote:
> I am a M.S. by research student from Lab for Spatial Informatics,
> International Institute of Information and Technology, Hyderabad, India.
>
> Last year I had proposed idea on "GRASS magic extension for the IPython
> Notebook" in GSOC-2013.
> But unfortunately the idea didn't get selected. Would it be a
> good idea to propose the same project this year also?

Hi Naveen,

Probably reusing the exact same proposal as last year may not improve results, but an enhanced and rewritten proposal could be interesting to look at. Also remember that Google lets you submit multiple proposals (maybe up to about 5(?)) so if you really wanted to work on the iPython extension, but are not sure if it matches the dev team's current needs and priorities, you could always make multiple proposals. I'd be careful not to put too many applications in though, often it is better to invest the time in a couple high-quality proposals instead of putting in a whole bunch of applications which aren't as well developed.

Massimo (epi) is our iPython Notebook expert, it would be good to discuss any ideas with him.

regards,
Hamish