[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 00:44:24 PST 2014

Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
> Moritz Lennert wrote
>
> Glynn Clements:
>
>>Where it gets problematic is if the user already has a Python
>>installation but it's not suitable for whatever reason. In the worst
>>case they may be faced with a choice between using GRASS or using
>>whatever the existing Python was installed for.
>
> IMHO keeping in mind that many GIS-interested winGRASS-users may already
> have been installed other (GIS-)software including a system-wide python
> installation, that will be the demanding challenge to provide a suitable
> solution ...

Therefore I would suggest to keep using the embedded Python version
which is known to work and includes all required components. Wingrass
would need *.bat wrapper scripts as for GRASS6 in order to make sure
that GRASS7 Python scripts are called with GRASS_PYTHON.

One reason for using Python is that many users are familiar with
Python and can easily write their own scripts. Writing Python scripts
is made easier if a Wingrass user associates Python scripts not with
Python but with the text editor of choice, in which case the system
handler will not execute Python scripts, but edit them. Now the task
is to not only make writing Python scripts easy, but also executing
them. This is done via File -> Launch script. There is no reason to
assume that any system-wide .py association is suitable to execute
GRASS Python scripts, thus the easiest way out might be to just ignore
it.

my 2c

Markus M