[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jan 26 15:16:25 PST 2014

Markus Metz wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > Just a note, given that most of these problems were caused by conflicts with python installed by ArcGIS,
> > I checked with our GIS support and the latest ArcGIS 10.2 installs python2.7 which (I guess) should work with GRASS.
>
> No, there are different versions of Python 2.7, and not all work with
> GRASS, see e.g. ticket 2015

Any version of Python 2.7 should be suitable for GRASS. However, it
needs to be installed correctly, and GRASS needs to not attempt to
bundle Python.

> GRASS should not use a system-wide Python installation, or more
> precisely, should explicitly ignore any system-wide python file
> associations. Expecting system-wide python file associations is the
> cause of all the trouble.

"Executing" a script uses the registry associations for the script's
extension.

Attempting to by-pass the system's script execution mechanism (by
explicitly executing Python scripts via a specific interpreter) is the
cause of all the trouble.