[GRASS-dev] GRASS Wiki versus Trac Wiki

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 08:38:07 PST 2014

Hi all,

I'm again opening the topic about what to put in GRASS (user) Wiki and what
in the (GRASS) Trac Wiki. My motivation now are the pages connected to the
upcoming GSoC but the problem is general.

In short it is described in this email but I created a page on Trac Wiki to
discuss possible issues with my approach.

Link to Trac Wiki:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GRASSWikiVersusTracWiki

Basic description what should go where:

== GRASS Wiki for current things ==

My idea is that GRASS Wiki should be used just to describe things as they
are. No discussions, no wishes, no proposals.

The GRASS Wiki should be something like user added manual. It should
contain specific examples with specific data. Guides how to use GRASS with
some particular software, technology, service or data source. It should be
a collection of use cases.

GRASS Wiki should not contain proposals and pages serving as a notebook
supporting development, for example this one:

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/grass-wiki/index.php?title=Toolboxes&oldid=18005

The end user should not be confused by pages about things which does not
exists. When he or she would come to Toolboxes page above, he or she
expects to learn about what are toolboxes in GRASS not what they could be
if the would be implemented in this or that way.

== Trac Wiki for developing ideas and tracking development ==

Trac wiki is the one which should be used to support development as it is
connected more to tickets, commits and source code and in the same time, it
is clear that it is something different than manual or GRASS wiki, so this
could help to avoid confusion. For example, there is no point in having
Single Map window idea listed among the existing wxGUI components at GRASS
Wiki while the page at Trac wiki is perfectly OK:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/SingleWindow?version=2

Thus I believe that all agenda for GSoC should be managed at Trac Wiki, not
GRASS Wiki.

Do you agree?

Vaclav