[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Jan 28 05:03:17 PST 2014

As someone who uses both ArcGIS and GRASS on windows, I see it as a bonus
that the python installations are separate.  I can recommend that folks in
my agency install GRASS on a computer and I can assure them that it does
not affect their ArcGIS installation, with it's own ESRI - specific version
of python.

Doug

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Glynn Clements
> <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Markus Metz wrote:

> conflicts with python installed by ArcGIS,
> python2.7 which (I guess) should work with GRASS.
> >>
> >> No, there are different versions of Python 2.7, and not all work with
> >> GRASS, see e.g. ticket 2015
> >
> > Any version of Python 2.7 should be suitable for GRASS.
>
> Not all versions of Python 2.7 are suitable for WinGRASS, see ticket #2150.
>
> > However, it
> > needs to be installed correctly, and GRASS needs to not attempt to
> > bundle Python.
> >
> >> GRASS should not use a system-wide Python installation, or more
> >> precisely, should explicitly ignore any system-wide python file
> >> associations. Expecting system-wide python file associations is the
> >> cause of all the trouble.
> >
> > "Executing" a script uses the registry associations for the script's
> > extension.
>
> WinGRASS does not set registry associations for Python scripts, nor
> does it install Python system-wide. This is because we do not want to
> modify an existing Python installation.
> >
> > Attempting to by-pass the system's script execution mechanism (by
> > explicitly executing Python scripts via a specific interpreter) is the
> > cause of all the trouble.
>
> I disagree. Troubles arise if the system's interpreter, e.g. Python
> installed by ArcGIS, is used instead of the python version embedded in
> WinGRASS.
>
> Markus M

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.