[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 07:07:03 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Glynn Clements
> <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Markus Metz wrote:

> conflicts with python installed by ArcGIS,
> python2.7 which (I guess) should work with GRASS.
> >>
> >> No, there are different versions of Python 2.7, and not all work with
> >> GRASS, see e.g. ticket 2015
> >
> > Any version of Python 2.7 should be suitable for GRASS.
>
> Not all versions of Python 2.7 are suitable for WinGRASS, see ticket #2150.

Actually, the problem in #2150 is that there is a version mismatch, or mess
is probably a better word: When Python script is called from Python
module/script system association is used (if exists?) and system-wide
python.exe is used, however the Python distribution packages which are used
are from our Python inside GRASS. The current problem is that there is a
incompatibility between Python 2.7.3 and 2.7.4; some import fails because
older system Python library (dll)  does not contain MAXREPEAT variable. (To
be honest, now I'm not sure how (dll) library is involved in this. I
remember that even our python.exe was using dll from system Python...)