[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 28 08:18:09 PST 2014

Hi All,

On 28/01/14 17:05, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 28/01/14 12:07, Markus Metz wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Glynn Clements
>>> "Executing" a script uses the registry associations for the script's
>>> extension.

This matters for using os.system("python.exe <script>") from within
a Python script, right?

>> WinGRASS does not set registry associations for Python scripts, nor
>> does it install Python system-wide. This is because we do not want to
>> modify an existing Python installation.

And I think that part should never be changed.

> And that is what is currently causing the issues AFAIU: when calling a
> .py script (or at least when a .py script is called from a .py script)
> the system-wide installation is called and if that is not compatible, we
> have an issue. But as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it is even
> more complicated because in certain situations is the the GRASS Python
> interpreter which is called, but some of the libraries used are those of
> the system-wide installation.

FWIW, I would start by modifying %PATH% before running os.system(),
so that the bundled python.exe and all of its DLLs are in the Windows
path, preceeding any other folders from which a system-wide Python
could pick them up. Worth a try, I think, before moving on to more
complex solutions. In addition, one should probably never use
os.system("python.exe"), but rather os.system("path-to-bundled-
python\python.exe")

If this helps, it would be straight-forward to replace
all os.system() calls in all existing scripts with a version that
first  sets the path correctly -- and then never use os.system()
directly in a GRASS script.

Another approach would be to have GRASS modify the local registry
settings for the Python shell association, then restore the previous
settings upon exit -- but that would be rather messy.

Best,

Ben