[GRASS-dev] Proposal for GSoC idea on INSPIRE

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 01:28:20 PST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Moritz Lennert <
> mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
>> On 28/01/14 16:00, Margherita Di Leo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'd like to bring a proposal for the forthcoming GSoC, that is the
>>> support for INSPIRE. This proposal is twofold, one regarding the
>>> metadata support, the other regarding the support for the data
>>> transformation to meet the inspire schema. I would like to know your
>>> opinion before drafting the idea into the trac. I'm willing to mentor
>>> for the INSPIRE POV, and since I'm working at JRC I have the opportunity
>>> to take advantage of a direct contact with the very people who are
>>> developing the Directive. Martin Landa kindly made himself available to
>>> co-mentor from the GRASS POV.
>>>

>> +1, but I think we should aim for generic metadata handling and then
>> allow the use of specific schemas such as INSPIRE.
>>
>> INSPIRE is using some more general ISO standards, isn't it?

Correct: it is build on ISO 19100 series of International Standards. See
[1].
I fully agree that the general aim should be a unified system to handle
metadata (as Yann said, interchangable and exportable into online systems).
As I see it, the editor should remain general, to meet the users needs. See
for example Geonetwork, it's possible to add or remove fields without
restriction.
The INSPIRE schema is a plus for the user, meaning that there will be
specific hints to guide the user, i.e. direct links with the parts of the
regulation involved in the compilation of each field of the metadata (see
for example [2]), the possibility to validate the metadata calling the API
of the INSPIRE validator [3], etc.

> QGIS metatools is a nice example of such a generic tool allowing for
>> specification of different schemas and for different outputs through the
>> use of XSLT conversion.
>>
>> QGIS compatibility would be appreciated by a lot of users and it might
> even show the way to go.

I agree.

> Some other thing to consider is how this metadata support would interact
> with existing r.support, r.timestamp etc. I remember that Yann and NikosA
> was talking about this in Genova in 2013.

If the GSoC idea will be accepted, I'd appreciate their contribution to the
discussion.

[1]
http://geostandards.geonovum.nl/index.php/6.4.6_ISO_19100_series_of_International_Standards
[2] http://inspire-geoportal.ec.europa.eu/editor/
[3] http://inspire-geoportal.ec.europa.eu/validator2/

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.