[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jan 30 16:16:53 PST 2014

Markus Metz wrote:

> AFAIU, the whole discussion boils down to the question if we want to
> require a system-wide installation of Python with correct python file
> associations in the registry, potentially deactivating an existing
> Python installation, or not.
>
> There seems to be agreement that we do not want to modify any existing
> system-wide python installation.
>
> That means that WinGRASS should
> 1) not do a system-wide installation of Python

It should not blindly replace or modify any system-wide installation.

> 2) not require a system-wide Python installation

It needs a system-wide Python installation if Python scripts are to be
"first-class citizens", i.e. having the same capabilities as a
compiled program. This is an OS requirement which GRASS cannot avoid.

If you don't do this, "WinGRASS" will always be a second-class citizen
compared to the real (i.e. Unix) GRASS.