[GRASS-dev] future of GRASS for Windows [was: Re: [GRASS-SVN] r60679 - grass/trunk/lib/python/script]

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Jul 2 05:25:14 PDT 2014

I agree with Martin and Helmut.

In my experience, the bulk of the existing GIS users are using Windows and
those using GIS professionally are often in work environments where the use
of virtual machines or installation of other OS's is prohibited.

The unfortunate fact is that many GIS users have not been exposed to an OS
environment other than Windows.  Requiring them to load/learn another OS
just to run this GIS software would be a fairly high bar for the average
user. Without a Windows port, GRASS will simply not be available to a
majority of institutional/mainstream GIS users.

If the goal is to expand the user base of GRASS, the maintaining a Windows
port is an excellent method.

Doug

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> Martin Landa wrote
> > Hi,

> > mlennert at .worldonline
>
> > >:
> >> [Starting a new thread as this is an important point on its own.
> Original
> >> mail is [1].]
> >>
> >> On 02/07/14 01:10, Glynn Clements wrote:> But in the longer term, should
> >> we
> >> be claiming to support a platform
> >>
> >> I think that the question merits discussion. In my teaching experience
> it
> >> has been very helpful to have a MS Windows version to allow students
> with
> >> MS
> >> Windows machines to install the software on these machines. I also have
> >> colleagues who, for different reasons, are quite resistant to installing
> >> another OS on their machines, but would like to use GRASS. So,
> generally,
> >> think that there should be a MS Windows port of GRASS.
> >
> > we simply _must_ support as much as possible GRASS on Windows. It's
> > crucial for us, without users there is no need for developing
> > software.
> >
> > Martin
>
> I concur with Martin! supporting winGRASS is a must.
>
> maybe let's spend some money to fix some crucial OS-depending issues...
>

> -----
> best regards
> Helmut
> --

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.