[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2360: grass startup script and wx preference file: language setting in wx does not contain country specific language code

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Jul 10 01:47:31 PDT 2014

#2360: grass startup script and wx preference file: language setting in wx does
not contain country specific language code
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mlennert     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  Unspecified  |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 When I launch grass7 (fresh from trunk), I get the following message at
 startup:

 {{{
 WARNING: A language override has been requested. Trying to switch GRASS
 into 'fr'...
 Failed to enforce user specified language 'fr' with error: 'unsupported
 locale setting'
 A LANGUAGE environmental variable has been set.
 Part of messages will be displayed in the requested language.
 }}}

 Tracing back what happens I see that when the user sets a language
 preference in the wx gui, this preference is stored in the .grass7/wx file
 as the two-letter language code ('fr' for French in this case). The locale
 checking and setting magic in set_language() in the grass7 startup script
 uses (among others):

 {{{
 encoding = 'UTF-8'
 normalized = locale.normalize('%s.%s' % (language, encoding))
 locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, normalized)
 }}}

 However, locale.normalize in this case transforms fr into fr_FR, whereas
 on my machine the only installed locale is fr_BE. Now I can just install
 fr_FR and the message goes away, and even with the message, GRASS seems to
 work ok, so this is not a major issue. However, it might throw off some
 users to see this message every time they start GRASS.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2360>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>