[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2385: v.in.ogr doesn't use information from dblogin file about external PostgreSQL server

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Jul 31 00:48:24 PDT 2014

#2385: v.in.ogr doesn't use information from dblogin file about external
PostgreSQL server
-------------------------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  hemeybo                                    |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect                                     |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64                                     |
-------------------------------------------------------+--------------------
 To import data from an external PostgreSQL server with v.in.ogr, I want to
 use the dblogin file created with db.login with ip-address, user name and
 password for the login on the external server.
 Login on the server is working fine, since db.tables lists all tables on
 the server.
 Using db.databases with the location flag works also fine, listing all
 available databases on the external server.
 If I try to use v.in.ogr with the server login information in the dsn
 string (with password written in plain text!!), everything is doing ok.
 But since I don't want to write my password visible for everybody every
 time I use the import function, I think, it should be possible to use
 v.in.ogr with the login information of the dblogin file.

 The error message, I recieve is the following:

 "DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
 Unable to connect to Postgres:
 could not connect to server: No such file or directory
     connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

 DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
 Unable to connect to Postgres:
 could not connect to server: No such file or directory
     connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

 ERROR: Unable to list databases. Try to define correct connection settings
        by db.login."

 This occurs to be the same error message as if I use db.databases without
 the location flag.

 For me, this somehow looks like the db.databases function is not working
 properly together with the dblogin file.

 The same problem occurs with the use of v.external

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2385>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>