[GRASS-dev] the function of v.buffer `minordistance' option

Maciej Sieczka msieczka at sieczka.org
Wed Jun 4 13:41:12 PDT 2014

W dniu 04.06.2014 21:24, Moritz Lennert pisze:
> On 04/06/14 20:42, Maciej Sieczka wrote:

>>> In NC dataset:
>>>
>>> v.buffer schools_wake out=testbuf distance=500 minordistance=250
>>>
>>> gives me the attached buffers. Everything seems to work fine here...
>>>
>>> Could you be more specific about what exactly is not working for you ?

>> Right, looks fine for points input. Not so for areas input though, e.g:
>>
>> $ v.buffer testbuf out=testbuf2 distance=500 minordistance=250
>>
>> v.buffer in the latter case does not honor minordistance and uses
>> distance for both axes, while I would expect it to behave the way it
>> does for points input. Am I expecting something which is not implemented
>> maybe?

> For me this is more of a conceptual problem: how can you define a major
> and minor axis for buffers of polygons ?

Maybe they cross at the centroid, rotation angle applies?

I was trying to make a minordistance=0.0111111111111111
distance=0.00694444444444447 vector area buffer in a latlon location.
The northing/easting difference was supposed to copmpensate for the
distance distortion, to some extent. But only then it came to me that
it's better to reproject the input polygon to a metric location, create
the regular fixed-distance buffer there, and reproject the buffer to the
latlon location where I need it.

Maciek

--
Maciej Sieczka