[GRASS-dev] Enhancement request: print name(s) of generated map(s) upon completion

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 11:47:25 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Moritz Lennert
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> > I understand the concern, but I wonder up to which point we have to hold
> the user's hand. The information is easily available in the man page.
> >
> > This is as if in R you would write out information about every single
> output value a function gives you. In my eyes this would be horrible.
>
> I was referring to the output maps being created, nothing else.
> That can be 0 to some outputs.
>
> > Let's leave at least part of the responsibility for understanding how to
> use GRASS to the user... :-)
>
> I myself miss it a lot if that matters :-)

Hm, if the message(s) would be parseable independently on the language
settings (perhaps with message format set to GUI), GUI could use that
information to add/re-render the layers. (Instead of current guessing based
on the parameters.)

Also if we will say no to the messages, we should remove them from all the
modules because than users expect to see then in all modules.

What you are saying about R makes sense but in case of GRASS, the modules
are much more verbose (even without --verbose) than R functions (e.g.
topology building), so few lines more does not make any difference IMHO.

Vaclav