[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r60679 - grass/trunk/lib/python/script

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 06:49:02 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
wrote:

> > > I had the feeling that this was the "consensus" (or at least with lack
> of
> > > clear dissension) we had reached:
> >
> > "consensus" is somehow courageous to say, bearing in mind that Glynn
> > simply reverts any other solution regardless that it breaks the whole
> > GRASS on Windows
>
> The reason I do this is because GRASS has a long history of dealing
> with bugs using ugly hacks, which typically introduce
> equal-but-opposite bugs. This then means that any attempt to fix the
> underlying bug breaks everything. It also results in incomplete fixes,
> which are then "fixed" further by adding yet more code, with each
> iteration getting progressively uglier due to interactions with
> earlier layers.

Yes, that's very true, there is lot of such examples in the GUI. Therefore
Vaclav and I did some refactoring there but I would like to point out that
during the refactoring the GUI was still *working*.

> If something doesn't actually work, I'd rather everyone be aware of
> that and try to find an actual solution, rather than just papering
> over the cracks and pretending that the issue has been solved.

I think we all know about the issue and removing the ugly code from SVN
doesn't solve anything, especially when there is no one who is willing to
solve it soon.

> E.g. if run_command() has problems with using a vertical bar character
> in an argument, modifying specific cases to avoid using a vertical bar
> doesn't fix the actual problem.
>
> Removing the shell from the equation fixes the actual problem (and

and breaks the rest so I wouldn't say it fixes anything. I understand you
want to keep the code clean without any workarounds but you didn't
implement better solution.

I would suggest to remove the link to GRASS 71 on GRASS website unless
someone is going to fix this soon.

Anna

possibly other problems related to the shell, e.g. ANSI-vs-OEM