[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r60713 - in grass/trunk: include lib/gis

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:35:35 PDT 2014

All,

I can feel strong frictions between Glynn and some of us. I was shocked
when Glynn simply broke 7.1 on Windows. From my experience, I can see that
he is more of a purist and doesn't like workarounds and hacks. I totally
understand his points, but just because there is an issue doesn't make it
any more acceptable to break other people's solutions that have been proved
to work for a long time, *without* providing his own better solution. I
don't mind any existing code being replaced by more correct solutions, but
simply reverting it and breaking the whole system is not acceptable at all.
I think that the whole system *should* always be in a working condition no
matter what "magic" was used in the code. If that magic is hackery, dirty
or whatever, it has to be *fixed*, not just removed. If he submitted a part
of his solution in the middle, it's not acceptable again because he should
have submitted a whole solution to make sure the system is at least not
worse than before.

Now, regarding my "exclusive" hack or implementations without any
discussion, first, I apologize for not discussing this issue before
submitting my implementations. Putting aside who's right and who's wrong,
it's very frustrating and demotivating to see hours of effort is gone in
seconds of typing with no better solutions coming in. As Martin said, I saw
a lot of core implementations from Glynn without clear discussions and he
often insists that he's right and he even said that he would revert any
changes he doesn't like. Looks like, any core changes have to be approved
by Glynn after serious discussions with him? He may be one of the best
developers in the team, but does it give him "exclusive" rights to revert
or break things with no solutions? I don't know.

Maybe, I was just simply wrong because I didn't have any discussion before
submitting the "exclusive" implementations and don't have rights to
complain about the revert. Now, I'm not sure what to discuss and what not
to. I even posted a couple of messages calling for a discussion, but they
got no attention at all. This kind of experience just demotivates and
pushes me away from real implementations and keeps me fixing small bugs and
typos here and there.

Last, I have a strong feeling that we really need defined procedures that
we can follow when making changes to the core and even individual modules.
Otherwise, this same situation will arise again and again.

Best,
Huidae