[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r60713 - in grass/trunk: include lib/gis

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 6 09:04:38 PDT 2014

Martin Landa wrote:

> > Reverted.
> >
> > This issue warrants an actual discussion. A discussion which I've been
> > trying to have for *years*.
>
> cool Glynn! Please could you provide your solution at least

I did propose a solution (read the thread).

Although that appears to have been a waste of time, as the solution
had already been decided by that point.

> or you
> will just continue reverting other people work in the better case or
> breaking the whole software in the worse case. Your behaviour is
> starting to be absolutely *unaccepteble* for me!!! You behave like a
> king with absolute power, funny...

Whereas imposing a "solution" without waiting for even a single
response isn't?

Why is making one change (the revert) without consultation being
dictatorial but making the original change without consultation not
so?

A change is a change, whether it's a revert or some other change.

Except ... there is a difference betwen a revert and some other
change. The situation created by a revert at least has an "implied
consensus" arising from the fact that the state which is being imposed
existed for years without anyone being particularly bothered (or at
least, not bothered *enough* to participate in any discussion).

If implementation was the issue, this would have been done years ago.
But, as always, implementation isn't the issue. Design is the issue.
Implementation is easy if you know *what* you're supposed to be
implementing.

The reason this wasn't done years ago was because I was hoping to get
some kind of discussion going ("triumph of hope over experience", I
suppose). This isn't an implementation detail; this will affect anyone
who wants to write a module.

Apparently, I should have just gone and imposed something without any
discussion.