[GRASS-dev] GRASS/wxWidgets 3.0

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 06:41:10 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry, but I forgot my password.
>
> I wanted to reply to this ticket:
>      http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2167
> but I'm sending you an email as figuring out how to recover the
> password will take a while and then I'll forget to update the ticket
> etc.
>
> Yes, wxPython 2.8 *works* on OS X 10.9, but only if someone compiles
> it for you (if you download binaries from somewhere else) and even
> then it's some kind of a pain because Python needs to be started in
> 32-bit mode and all the dependencies need to be fixed properly etc.
> etc. One cannot compile wxPython 2.8 on 64-bit mac and so GRASS
> *cannot* work on MacPorts (which compiles everything from source) or
> with any other package manager that might support GRASS (I didn't
> check if other package managers support it or not).
>
> Basically it boils down to this:
>     http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-January/061635.html
> Citing the user criticising the usage of wxPython:
>
> > I'm a mac user as well and i will be happy to help,
> >
> > … i built grass weekly (if not daily) in the past,
> > but unfortunately now i'm on mac 10.8.x using 64bit python,
> > all my python packages numpy scipy etc etc etc .. are 64 bit and ...
> >
> > WX gui unfortunately doesn't works on mac in 64 bit mode …
> > i'm waiting the 2.9.x to be stable that is 2 years now ...
> >
> > This IMO can be one of the major reason of  "lack of mac-man-dev-power"
>
> There have been a lot of bug reports about problems with Grass in
> MacPorts, but if users aren't able to use software at all, they go
> away, switch the OS, find other software etc. So users are lost.
>

> > I have Mac OS X 10.9 where GRASS runs with wxPython 2.8.
>
> Yes. But you need to fetch binaries from elsewhere and install all the
> dependencies yourself, manually. That's not acceptable for MacPorts
> and other package managers.
>
> > Besides, GRASS 6.4 and 7 should work with wxPython 3,
> > although it's not well tested and you can expect some problems
> > which can be fixed when someone reports them.
>
> The tickets asks for fixing these problems exactly. Grass 6.4.3 keeps
> causing constant problems with wxPython 3.0, at least on Mac it's
> nearly useless. I didn't test the nightly yet, but to be honest I'm
> not even sure how to use the software, so there's not much I can test.
> It asks for a file. I don't have any file to start with, so it's a bit
> difficult. I was just trying to fix some build problems in MacPorts,
> I'm not really a GRASS user.

I don't really have time to fix the problems in GRASS 6.4 GUI, the code
differs a lot from GRASS 7 where all the development now goes on and
hopefully there will be some stable release soon. I always try to fix the
problems related to wxPython 3 there as long as someone reports them.  And
I would say that wxGUI in G7 mostly works, but I tested it only on Linux. I
would like to try it on Mac too but I don't have much time, that's the main
problem. I understand it's difficult to test GRASS for you, the quickstart
[1] is not exactly quick and you have to download the sample data first.

Anna

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/helptext.html