[GRASS-dev] G7: m.proj lacking - as default input answer

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 11 04:10:16 PDT 2014

Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> but might that cause harm in the wxGUI?
> >
> > right, it was the main reason why all modules (should be) in G7 has
> > been modified in this way (no default answer for input, stdin requires
> > `-`).

Regardless of this specific issue, the GUI should be fixed so that
stdin isn't inherited (e.g. stdin=PIPE, then p.stdin.close(); or
associate stdin with the null device).

> I see. So that's
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2156
>
> I wonder if the could additionally allow for a more human readable
> form than input=- like we do for separator=...
> "stdin" isn't much better for many users, any other ideas?

I don't see any point. "input=-" probably isn't meaningful from the
GUI. Command-line users will typically be familiar with that syntax.
And unless they're planning on entering data via the terminal, they'll
need to be familiar with the shell's redirection syntax in order to
make use of it.