[GRASS-dev] Rast_open_update?

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 26 06:30:19 PDT 2014

Hi Huidae,
FWIK, the reason why updating raster maps is currently not supported
in GRASS at the module level is the storage format. Usually raster
maps are stored using zip compressed rows. Rows are written in serial,
hence if you modify a single row, the size of this row may be
different after compression and does not fit exactly in the position
of the old row in the existing file. From my knowledge there is
currently no way to append rows or mark rows as invalid in existing
raster maps.
However, there is the possibility to store raster maps using
uncompressed rows, but i don't recall any raster library function to
update such maps.

Best regards
Soeren