[GRASS-dev] Submitting rules: Commit messages

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:57:31 PDT 2014

Hi all,

please read, comment and follow:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Submitting/General#Commitmessages

Although not followed all the time, the general practice is well know and
agreed, I believe. I'm just not sure about few things.

First, I commented on multi line messages in the way that they are almost
discouraged, some other projects, on the other hand, discourage single line
commit messages.

Second, I was always starting the sentence in commit message with lower
case letter but some guides suggest upper case and perhaps it is a good
idea.

Third, the verbs in the sentence are big question, especially their tense.
Lately, I'm following the practice, and some others seems too, of using
imperative (or "no tense") form of verbs, e.g. "add something" instead of
"adding something"or "adds something".

Fourth, the practice of adding module or library or component or whatever
name at the beginning as a prefix separated by a colon is surely
advantageous, I would say. But maybe we should specify what are the names
and how hierarchical they should be. For example, there is few libpython
and a lot of pythonlib. For pygrass it seems that just pygrass is enough
(no pythonlib/pygrass). Also, do we want prefix for general things like
build, makefiles, and what about global changes such as "removing all upper
case HTML tags"?

There is few more and we don't need to resolve any of these now. However,
if you have a opinion, please tell me. If there will be some agreement or
strong opinions we could add them to submitting.

Thanks for reading,
Vaclav

Submitting: General: Submitting code to SVN: Commit messages
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Submitting/General#Commitmessages

Motivation: