[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r61027 - grass/trunk/general/g.mlist

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jun 29 05:19:43 PDT 2014

Vaclav Petras wrote:

> I think that the default interpretation of * is all, so * can be confused
> with the default for this option (all).

There's also the issue that the shell will perform wildcard expansion.

This probably doesn't directly matter unless you have files named
"region=<something>" in the current directory.

But users might spend time worrying about how to quote/escape it
without realising that it won't matter.

It might matter for the GUI, if its command-line handling doesn't
exactly mirror the shell's rules.

It might matter for shell scripts if the option's value is ever
separated from the region=part.

It would matter if we ever wanted to support the more conventional
"--option value" getopt syntax.

If the current region is selected with ".", maybe ".." for the default
region? Or even "DEFAULT" (that would preclude using a named region
with that name; but is that likely?).