[GRASS-dev] Character encoding of module i.atcorr files

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Mar 3 18:01:47 PST 2014

Vaclav Petras wrote:

> But anyway, UTF-8 is now everywhere and time to time it is necessary and
> much easier than various workarounds such as entities in HTML, unicode
> escape sequences or rewriting readable and standard °C to degC. So, I don't
> see 7 bit or whatever simplification as advantageous because the problem is
> complex and you just cannot fit into 7 bit (1).
>
> Are there any disadvantages of using UTF-8?

Yes. It isn't actually supported everywhere, and even where it is
supported, it isn't necessarily the only encoding used or even the
preferred encoding.

Even ASCII isn't universal, but people using encodings which are
incompatible with ASCII are familiar with the issues.

Using anything other than ASCII in source code creates unnecessary
problems, which is something which we should try to avoid.