[GRASS-dev] Problems 3D rendering with WxNviz (Ubuntu)

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:40:34 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Johannes Radinger <
johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just reinstalled wxPython and recompiled GRASS to be sure that I am
> working with the newest versions.
> The problem still persists. Here how I installed wxPython:
>
>   sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.8 python-wxtools wx2.8-doc wx2.8-examples wx2.8-headers wx2.8-i18n
>
> and then I also followed another procedure explained here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14007557/installing-wxpython-on-ubuntu-12-04
>
>    1. First make sure that you have Python installed
>    2. Install wxGTK 2.8 with the command, 'sudo apt-get install
>    python-wxgtk2.8'
>    3. Run the command, 'apt-get source -d wxwidgets2.8'
>    4. Now run, 'dpkg-source -x wxwidgets2.8_2.8.12.1-6ubuntu2.dsc'
>    5. cd wxwidgets2.8-2.8.12.1
>    6. cd wxPython
>    7. Now run the command, 'sudo python setup.py install'
>    8. wxPython and wxWidgets are now successfully installed!
>

> Now it seems that two versions are installed
> ['2.8-gtk2-unicode', '2.8-gtk2-unicode']
>
> Does that help?
>
> Is there a way the GRASS itself reports the versions of e.g. wxpython?
> Maybe via the g.version command?!

When you go in menu Help ->About system you should be able to see it. Also,
when you go to Python Shell, you can type:
import wx
wx.version()

In wxPython >= 2.9, there is a method IsDisplaySupported which would help
to understand more about the problem [1]. The only thing which I know you
could try is to install wxPython 3. You can either compile it yourself or
update Ubuntu to the latest one and install the package. However I can't
guarantee it helps.

Anna

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14715739/how-can-i-determine-the-max-allowable-wx-gl-depth-size-for-a-wx-glcanvas/

> /Johannes
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:11 AM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Johannes Radinger <
>> johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> it wanted to try out the 3D capabilities of GRASS 7. However when I
>>> change to the 3d view (WxNviz) nothing is rendered, instead I get the
>>> message that I should try a different depth buffer number. This procedure
>>> is also mentioned in the wiki (http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxNviz).
>>> However, I tried now all possible numbers (0,16,24,32) saved the
>>> preferences and restarted the gui with the new settings but the problem
>>> persists (BTW, the possible number 0 is mentioned in the wiki but not in
>>> the preferences GUI).
>>>
>>> I am not sure what is causing the problem in my case. Here I just need
>>> to mention that I am working on a slightly special set up. GRASS is running
>>> on a virtual Ubuntu machine (via VMWare) which is installed on a central
>>> multi core machine (Intel® Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz × 8, Ubuntu 12.04,
>>> 32 bit). I connect to the virtual machine via a remote desktop connection
>>> (RDP connection) from a so called thin-client.
>>>
>>> My GRASS setup as follows:
>>> version=7.0.svn
>>> date=2014
>>> revision=59321M
>>> build_date=2014-03-25
>>> build_platform=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>> libgis_revision=59317
>>> libgis_date="2014-03-24 20:38:32 +0100 (Mon, 24 Mar 2014) "
>>> proj4=4.8.0
>>> gdal=1.10.0
>>> geos=3.3.8