[GRASS-dev] Problems 3D rendering with WxNviz (Ubuntu)

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 06:11:04 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Johannes Radinger <
johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Anna,
> Hi all,
>
> to report back. I know successfully built and installed wxPython3.
> Subsequently I rebuilt and installed GRASS7
> based on the newest revision. Here my system and version output:
>
> GRASS version:
> 7.0.svn
> GRASS SVN Revision:
> 59491M
> Build Date:
> 2014-03-28
> Build Platform:
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
> GDAL/OGR:
> 1.10.0
> PROJ.4:
> 4.8.0
> GEOS:
> 3.3.8
> SQLite:
> 3.7.9
> Python:
> 2.7.3
> wxPython:
> 3.0.0.0
> Platform:
> Linux-3.2.0-60-generic-pae-i686-with-Ubuntu-12.04-precise
>

> GRASS 7.0.svn (2014)
> libgis Revision: 59317
> libgis Date: 2014-03-24 20:38:32 +0100 (Mon, 24 Mar 2014)
> PROJ.4: 4.8.0
> GDAL/OGR: 1.10.0
> GEOS: 3.3.8
> SQLite: 3.7.9
>
> I again tried setting all 4 possible numbers for the depth buffer. But
> still, GRASS does not render any 3D rastermap. In contrast to before, now I
> don't the message that I should try changing the buffer number.
> Here some output from the Python Shell that may or may not be helpful:
>
> import wx
> import wxversion
> wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([0,16,24,32])
> False
> wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([0])
> False
> wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([16])
> False
> wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([24])
> False
> wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([32])
> False
> wxversion.getInstalled
> <function getInstalled at 0xb6f89bfc>
> wxversion.getInstalled()
> ['3.0-gtk2']

You should try this:
import wx
from wx.glcanvas       import WX_GL_DEPTH_SIZE
wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([WX_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 0, 0])
wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([WX_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 16, 0])
wx.glcanvas.GLCanvas_IsDisplaySupported([WX_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, 32, 0])

> I get now a problem reported in the GUI's command console which is printed
> when I start the 3D viewing mode:
> Starting 3D view
> mode...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/gui/wxpython/mapdisp/to
> olbars.py", line 230, in OnSelectTool
>
> self.parent.AddNviz()
>   File "/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/gui/wxpython/mapdisp/fr
> ame.py", line 362, in AddNviz
>
> Map = self.Map, tree = self.tree, lmgr = self._layerManager)
>   File "/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/gui/wxpython/nviz/mapwi
> ndow.py", line 118, in __init__
>
> self.context = glcanvas.GLContext(self)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-
> packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/glcanvas.py", line 67, in __init__
>
> _glcanvas.GLContext_swiginit(self,_glcanvas.new_GLContext(*a
> rgs, **kwargs))
> wx._core
> .
> PyAssertionError
> :
> C++ assertion "vi" failed at /usr/local/src/wxPython-
> src-3.0.0.0/src/unix/glx11.cpp(59) in wxGLContext(): invalid
> visual for OpenGL

I am wondering if it can't be some deeper problem, could you try to run any
other application which uses OpenGL? For example MeshLab is using it I
think, or any other you use.

Anna

So maybe this can give some hints. Just let me know what I can do that you