[GRASS-dev] Who wants GUI and who does not and why

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Thu May 1 02:12:31 PDT 2014

I really like this idea and want to go further by splitting into four main
parts:

- grass-lib: keep the current core libraries as is. Low level GIS layer

- grass-plugins: implement raster/raster3d/vector/... whatever the current
commands implement as libraries. These libraries spit out xml for building
CLI/GUI interfaces. One plugin per module. High level modeling/analysis
layer

- grass-cli: very light xml parser. Maybe, we'll only need one command and
give a plugin name and its parameters to this command.

- grass-gui: also very light xml parser.

This way, other GIS programs can use grass-lib and grass-plugins to build
their interface from xml output without having to update their client code
heavily whenever a major GRASS GIS is released.

Regards,
Huidae