[GRASS-dev] Who wants GUI and who does not and why

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri May 2 07:56:28 PDT 2014

I'm not talking about the current structure. Yes, the modules are the CLI
right now and the GUI calls the CLI modules internally. What I'm saying is
that it would great if we could separate the logic and CLI and put the
logic in plugins and let the CLI and GUI calls the logic. GUI would be
independent on CLI and directly call the logic plugin. Here, I'm saying
plugin because each module could be implemented as a mod_*.so just like
Apache modules. Then we could implement a CLI environment that can load
mod_*.so as needed dynamically. In the same way, other programs can call
mod_*.so without creating a separate process for individual modules.

Actually, even now, GRASS libs are called directly from GDAL for handling
raster/vector maps.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be