[GRASS-dev] discussion: spectral libraries and GRASS

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Sat May 3 06:09:14 PDT 2014

Hi, I would like to start a discussion about supporting spectral
libraries in GRASS.

known formats:

ASTER speclibv2.0 has each signature in a plain text file with 27
lines of headers and the rest in 2 columns Tab-separated
(1=wavelength, 2=reflectance)

Speclab.lib06 (http://speclab.cr.usgs.gov/spectral.lib06/) is in text
format, seems a bit more complex than speclibv2.0 and I have not been
able to compile their reading code yet, I might just skip it and make
directly a reader.

ENVI .sli seems to be a hyperspectral image cube with an augmented
header file to fit the attributes handling.

Questions:

1 - anybody worked with spectral libraries in GRASS before? If yes,
which approach you used?
2 - any (un/less)known modules waiting to be resurrected about that?
3 - If nothing is there, anybody has a strong feeling about the way to
go for GRASS to: a) import b) store such libraries?
4 - A last note: each signature has significant amount of metadata,
this might be a challenge.

(I am willing to code the necessary to import and store)

Yann
--
----