[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Thu May 8 07:49:20 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Sören Gebbert <
> soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> > On MS Windows, users do have a free choice of what they install. Third
>> > party software packages are on MS Windows completely independent of
>> > each other. If you don't like this, you have to change the MS Windows
>> > world first, then GRASS.
>> >
>> > On MS Windows, GRASS and a system-wide Python installation are third
>> > party software packages that are completely independent of each other.
>>
>> In my Institute the user do not have the free choice of what they
>> can install on their windows machines.
>> There are guidelines what software and version is allowed to be
>> installed. There are Institution specific software repositories that
>> must be used.
>> All software must be installed by the system administrator, user do
>> not have any permissions
>> to do this them self. This is for security and maintenance reasons.
>>
>> I think this is very common in companies and public institutions. I
>> know several companies with much more restrictive guideline (no
>> internet connection, USB sticks not allowed, ...). So you can't expect
>> that
>> user have a free choice.
>>

> Hi, I don't understand how this actually influence whether GRASS should
> have Python inside or outside. For user there is no difference since it
> should be managed by sysadmin, so what is sysadmin's decision process?

1) does it introduce any security risks ( open ports, install remotely
accessible services, change system file/directory permissions, etc)?
2) does it require administrative access to run ( i.e, write access to
install directories under c:\Program Files by normal users is generally
prohibited) ?
3) does it break existing software?
4) does it perform useful tasks ?

Doug

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.