[GRASS-dev] Metadata GRASS (GSOC)

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed May 14 13:54:06 PDT 2014

With option 1) , would the tool also operate on externally linked datasets
( via v.external and r.external) ?

Doug

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Matej Krejci <matejkrejci at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss the metadata management in GRASS which is my topic
> for GSOC.
>
> My idea for GSOC term is to Python library, command line modules and wxGUI
> front-end.
>
> The current plan has two parts, however the second one is optional.
>
> 1)
> Main task is to make Python library that can create, read and edit XML
> (ISO standard). I think it is necessary to implement standards externally.
> In this case it is useful to use XSD (xml template) to generate the valid
> XML. There is an option to use generateDS[1] to generates Python code with
> classes representing XSD structure. Also the generateDS can fill XSD  and
> then export it to XML.
> In this case the module will read raster and vector metadata from current
> GRASS flat files. In the future(GRASS 8 development) a new C lib can be
> created. It would enable to fill in fundamental XML with values from
> GRASS(v, r, r3d) and other values by "default values" that can be replaced
> by this module. This C library will be just for fill in basic XML and any
> control (edit,read,etc) will be provide by Python module (GSOC). What you
> think about generateDS?
>
> 2)
> If theres some time left in GSOC term or after I would like to implement a
> server-client management of metadata using pycsw [3](server side) and
> owslib[3] in client side. Demonstration of functions that provide this
> solution is i.e. in QGIS plugin (Meta Search).  I  wanted to use this
> suggestion at first, but there are quite heavy dependences on others
> packages. In addition there is no any package for debian... So this
> solution will be for a user who really want to work with metadata but not
> fundamental ones.
>

> [1]http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/generateDS.html
> [2]http://pycsw.org/
> [3]http://geopython.github.io/OWSLib/

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.