[GRASS-dev] r.in.lidar tuning

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Fri May 16 16:31:14 PDT 2014

Great!  I will test when I have a spare moment!

In the long term.. Any chance of filtering the input points through an
elevation raster to subtract to get height above ground before statistics?

las file---> subtract value of elevation grid generated from ground points
--> run statistics on modified z values of las points.

One problem I can see is that you generally have higher resolution
elevation rasters than the resolution of forest canopy structure you wish
to create.  6m elevation grid vs 18m canopy structure grids)  This might be
better as a separate function (r.lashag?) in which you have inputs of an
external las file and an elevation raster layer and an output of an las
file with the z value as height above ground.

I've done this externally with python scripts ( badly and slowly) . On the
upside, the resulting las datasets are quite promising for landscape -
level canopy structure analysis.

Doug

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.