[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1856: wxGUI with LANG=pl_PL.utf8 throws "'ascii' codec can't decode byte"

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Sun May 18 13:24:52 PDT 2014

Can you be more specific? I think the reason for the error is that string
constants are encoded in the default encoding, which is ascii, and
translated messages are in the local locale. The reverted change tried to
match the two encodings.

It's not hiding any bugs in the code. In python 2, IMHO it's not possible
to change the encoding of strings without using sitecustomize.py or
usercustomize.py.

If there is a better fix, that would be great because we don't have to
possibly override user's *customize.py.