[GRASS-dev] G70: Link to PG database issue (wxGUI)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun May 25 03:24:40 PDT 2014

Hi Martin,

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> done in r60461 (wxGUI error), I have also added note about db.login
>> r60462 (trunk only). Ideally the wxGUI dialog should contain
>> user/passwd widget to enter the values directly without need to launch
>> db.login explicitly. Please feel free to fill enhancement ticket.

ok, perhaps once the rest is there.

> related - in r60465-6 I fixed `db.databases` to understand settings
> from `db.login`.
>
> $ db.databases dri=pg
> DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
> Unable to connect to Postgres:
> fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>

> DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
> Unable to connect to Postgres:
> fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>

> ERROR: Unable to list databases. Try to define correct connection
> settings by db.login.

Tested and works in the wxGUI - the message pops up. Thanks.

BTW, partially related:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1951

> $ db.login dri=pg user=martin pass=xxx

Sidenote:
I wonder how to avoid to specify the pw on command line. In r39879 the
interactive query was removed.
Indeed, I would even prefer to scramble the pw and **** when typing it
into the GUI window which would be done with

http://wxpython.org/Phoenix/docs/html/TextCtrl.html
TE_PASSWORD: The text will be echoed as asterisks.

No idea if a flag could be added to enable this (perhaps a new
G_define_option() for password strings?

> $ db.databases dri=pg
> template1
> template0
> postgres

While this is now working also here, in terms of the original issue I
wonder if it is needed to switch the DB settings for the mapset when
"only" trying to link to one PostGIS vector map (so a kind of mixed
use).

Markus