[GRASS-dev] problem with creating areas from set of points with specific category

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:00:45 PST 2014

Hi,

my problem is - I have polygons defined as a set of coordinates with
assigned categories and I want to create vector areas where the centroid
would have that category. I don't want to use PyGRASS because of ctypes. I
wanted to write an ascii file (ascii vector format) but it allows me to
write only boundaries and centroids (not areas). But I don't have
centroids. So I can write boundaries and then use v.centroids afterwards
but I don't know how to specify the correct category values for those new
centroids. There doesn't seem to be any way to transfer categories from
boundaries to centroids. So, am I missing something? Why vector ascii
format doesn't support areas? Would it be difficult to add it?

Thanks,

Anna