[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] wxGUI raster digitizer available

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Nov 19 12:31:14 PST 2014

Hi Anna,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 5:19 AM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I added raster digitizer in r62792 in trunk.

what a great job!

If you didn't find it: it is in the "Map Display" windows, then
selector on the right side (2D/3D/Vector digitizer/Raster digitizer).

> You are welcome to test it and
> report bugs/enhancements.
> It currently allows to draw areas, lines and points and specify width to
> buffer individual features. We can discuss some changes in gui interface and
> behavior if you find the current one intuitive.  There is still a lot to
> improve especially in the drawing part (needs some refactoring of the old
> drawing code).

One general thing I found (also valid for the vector digitizer): I
wonder where to put a message what the mouse buttons mean.
Maybe in the status bar at bottom of the display/digitizer window?

> Features:
> - draw area, line, point

... works.

> - specify buffer width for individual features to create for example
> circles, roads of certain width...

... maybe rename from "Width" to "Buffer width"? Otherwise it could be
confused with the drawing line width.

> - specify background map

... works (maybe have a button to optionally take computational region
from that map?)

> - simple undo
> - save button to save results during drawing

here I got an issue somewhere:

Exception in thread Thread-4:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/threading.py", line 811, in
__bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/home/neteler/software/grass71/dist.x86_64-unknown-
linux-gnu/gui/wxpython/core/gthread.py", line 94, in run
    ret = vars()['callable'](*args, **kwds)
  File "/home/neteler/software/grass71/dist.x86_64-unknown-
linux-gnu/gui/wxpython/rdigit/controller.py", line 432, in
_exportRaster
    if item.GetPropertyVal('widthValue') and \
  File "/home/neteler/software/grass71/dist.x86_64-unknown-
linux-gnu/gui/wxpython/mapwin/graphics.py", line 439, in
GetPropertyVal
    raise KeyError(_("Property does not exist: %s") %
(propName))
KeyError: 'Property does not exist: widthValue'

> - keeps drawing order in the output raster map
> - change color of drawing
> - doesn't block gui when exporting raster (which can take some time)

Nice!

> Does not support (yet?):
> - adding labels
> - interactive setting color of raster cells (not planned, there are other tools)
> - vector export/import
>
> Known issues:
> - r.in.poly supports only CELL (I just realized that, this must be changed)

(meanwhile you changed that already, thanks)

> - various small drawing issues
> - slow when exporting features with buffers (r.grow is slow, probably
> because it's a script)

Not sure but r.buffer would be appropriate/faster?

Markus