[GRASS-dev] Issues installing GRASS 7.0 from Ubuntu PPA

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Thu Nov 20 08:37:25 PST 2014

Vaclav,

   Thank you for your response, it is very helpful! So, the upshot is that
the current version packaged for Ubuntu in the PPA has the broken
g.version, which somehow prevents the GUI from rendering. This is just in
the PPA version, but the compiled version *should* be fine. So my current
options are to roll back to an earlier version, compile the current version
from source, or to run GRASS headless for the moment (no issue for me)
until the problem is fixed (I assume at least by when 7.0 stable is
released?).

Also, thanks for letting me know about g.mremove. I didn't know about that!
I am currently porting some of my addon modules to 7, so I will change
their map clean up routines to use the new functionality of g.remove. Goes
to show that I ought to pay more attention to the roadmap!

~Isaac

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Isaac Ullah <isaac.ullah at asu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, premature send! Here's the error message:
>>
>> Launching <wxpython> GUI in the background, please wait...
>> [Raster MASK present]
>> GRASS 7.0.0 (Exp3):~ > Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 140, in <module>
>>     sys.exit(main())
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 133, in main
>>     app = GMApp(workspaceFile)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 48, in __init__
>>     wx.App.__init__(self, False)
>>   File
>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line
>> 7981, in __init__
>>     self._BootstrapApp()
>>   File
>> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line
>> 7555, in _BootstrapApp
>>     return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 82, in OnInit
>>     workspace = self.workspaceFile)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/gui/wxpython/lmgr/frame.py", line 93, in __init__
>>     grassVersion = grass.version()['version']
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 1467, in
>> version
>>     data = parse_command('g.version', flags='rge')
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 465, in
>> parse_command
>>     res = read_command(*args, **kwargs)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 425, in
>> read_command
>>     return handle_errors(returncode, stdout, args, kwargs)
>>   File "/usr/lib/grass70/etc/python/grass/script/core.py", line 308, in
>> handle_errors
>>     returncode=returncode)
>> grass.exceptions.CalledModuleError: Module run None ['g.version', '-rge']
>> ended with error
>> Process ended with non-zero return code -11. See errors in the (error)
>> output.
>>

> This relates to problems with g.version (#2351) and new, more strict error
> handling (#2326). I tried to fix g.version in r61589 but I'm not sure if I
> was successful, now it seems that I was not. I'm also not sure what r62747
> changed in g.version checks. (Note: Both changes are backported to release
> branch 7.0.)
>
> At least the error handling now gives us the idea about what's happening.
> -11 means segmentation fault on Ubuntu AFAIK, so it is really related to
> #2351.
>
> I changed the error handling to "ignore" in r62822 (and backported). It
> reintroduces the original behavior before #2326. Although it might be
> appropriate in this case, the better solution would be to fix g.version as
> r61589 was trying to do.
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2351
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2326
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/61589 (
> [...]