[GRASS-dev] sample vector temporal data

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:10:37 PST 2014

On 8 October 2014 at 03:21, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> as you know we need to decide which data are we going to use for t.vect.*
> examples. One possibility is to use oceanfront shorelines of North Carolina,
> we can get this data easily from here:
>
> http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/cm/download-spatial-data-maps-oceanfront
>
> It includes these years, interval data in case of older data, and instance
> data from the past years:
> 1849 - 1873, 1925 - 1946, 1933 - 1952, 1940 - 1962, 1970 - 1988, 1997, 1998,
> 2003, 2004, 2009
>
> The advantage is that the data is public and basically ready to use. If we
> decide to use it, should we include the entire NC shoreline or just some
> detail (look at the attachment)?
>
> In addition, we can also create a vector time-series where the geometry is
> not changing, just the attribute changes (derived from the climate data for
> example).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

After some weeks without any comments I think we could proceed to
create the dataset.

> By the way, the climate dataset seems to be fine, we got the confirmation we
> can use it, it is not subject to the PRISM licence since it was interpolated
> at NC State Climate Office.

I would like to work on it and on temporal documentation in the next
two days, so what do you think about this plan starting from the
sample data for the temporal workshop [0]?
- remove some years from climate_2000_2012 data, for example keep no
more that 5 years, because right know the location is a little bit
heavy (about 700MB) and for documentation 5 years should be fine.
- create vector for static temporal dataset from towns querying the
rasters in climate_2000_2012 to create something like virtual weather
stations
- add the shoreline ocean data, maybe in a new mapset
- create at least one temporal dataset for each type (strds, str3ds, stvds)
- update the temporal documentation according the new dataset.

what do you think?

Helena in her answer was speaking about orthophoto and DEM for the
shoreline ocean data, are this data already inside the location
(elev_lid792_1m,elev_state_500m,ortho_t792_1m) ?

[0] http://fatra.cnr.ncsu.edu/temporal-grass-workshop/

--
ciao
Luca