[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS71svn using Windows shell (not bourne shell) thogh MSYS is installed

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Oct 24 02:07:37 PDT 2014

Moritz Lennert wrote
> On 24/10/14 04:20, Vaclav Petras wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Glynn Clements
>> <

> glynn at .plus

>  <mailto:

> glynn at .plus

> >> wrote:
>>

>>     Vaclav Petras wrote:
>>
>>     > I'm afraid we have an issue with what we want. Do we want to remove
>> msys
>>     > in favor of native command line or do we want to have msys
>> available
>>     > because it is much better then the MS Windows native command line.
>>
>>     Nothing stops the user from installing MSys if they want it. In fact,
>>     users who are likely to want it may already have it installed, so we
>>     shouldn't be installing a second copy (which may conflict with their
>>     existing copy; even if it doesn't, they now have to configure and
>>     maintain two copies).
>>
>>     We shouldn't be forcing it on people. Whether it's "better" isn't the
>>     issue. It's not what Windows users will be familiar with. It's not
>>     what's going to be described if users search for documentation on
>>     "Windows command line".
>>
>>     GRASS 6 has to bundle MSys because GRASS 6 won't work without it.
>> That
>>     shouldn't be the case for GRASS 7.
>>
>> This sounds reasonable. If users want something better then what MS
>> provides they should install it, as you say, or they should install
>> different OS or use Python for scripting, I would say.
>
> +1
>
> Moritz

I'm still in favour to keep it.

anyway in case of not shipping msys, there are a some places needed to be
adapted in the nsis-script [1] and the package script [2].

AFAIR years ago there was some issue with the g.mkfontcap run during
installation which needed msys in %path%.

549	        FileWrite $0 'set
FREETYPEBASE=$INSTALL_DIR\extrabin;$INSTALL_DIR\msys\bin;$INSTALL_DIR\lib$\r$\n'

[1]
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl
[2]
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/GRASS-Packager.bat.tmpl