[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1065: v.in.mapgen fails to load coastline from NOAA's National Geophysical Data Center

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 3 01:28:41 PDT 2014

#1065: v.in.mapgen fails to load coastline from NOAA's National Geophysical Data
Center
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  vesnikos                   |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-32                     |
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Comment(by hamish):

 The NOAA shoreline extractor site is here:
   http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/shorelines.html
   http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/coast/getcoast.html

 It tries to get you to download Windows-only software instead of the
 online version for some reason, but the above site still works. v.in.gsghs
 (gshhg) in addons is the modern version of things.

 note v.in.mapgen does the background work for v.in.lines, so not an
 unimportant module. The format is quite old, but old enough that it turns
 up every now and then in odd places, since it is a simple text format and
 at one point was open and widely supported.

 If anyone can find a non-working sample I still remember enough about it
 to (probably) get the python version working. (I assume the shell script
 version from G6.4 is still ok?)

 Hamish

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1065#comment:4>