[GRASS-dev] Query Regarding Development of GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 13:41:25 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Saqib Shamsi <shamsi.saqib at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello. My name is Saqib Nizam Shamsi. I am willing to participate in
> the development of GRASS GIS.

Hi,

this is great. There is certainly a lot of areas we would use some help.
Are you interested in some particular topic?

> I want to know that do I need any other
> skills except knowing C or Python?

There are some pointers how to start with development here:

http://grass.osgeo.org/development/how-to-start/

And for contributing the code, there are some rules which should be
followed:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Submitting

The rest depends on what you would like to do, for example for GUI
development, you need to use wxPython. If you don't have any clear idea
yet, I recommend you to go through open tickets and see if there is some
problem which you would like to try to solve:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/report

The best think to start with for most of people is a development of a GRASS
module (which would go then to GRASS addons repository) which does
something which they need and it is not in GRASS GIS yet.

Welcome to the community,
Vaclav

Thank you