[GRASS-dev] v.select: creation primary key / indexing

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:52:23 PDT 2014

I just had a case in which I created a new point layer by selecting a
subset of points with v.select. I subsequently added a column and used
v.what.rast to upload raster values for the points.

The point layer has 2 million points and the v.what.rast took a very long
time to update the vector attributes.

As it turns out, this is because the attribute table is without primary
key. After adding the primary key the v.what.rast took only a minute or so.
So the question is, would it be an idea to have the v.select create an
primary key for the cat column automatically?

p.s. running GRASS 7.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit