[GRASS-dev] significant change in g.parser behavior for GRASS 7

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Sep 24 16:53:54 PDT 2014

I just learned that using upper case characters for a GRASS 7 module option means that g.parser will not recognize it. That is for module. “r.foo" with options “Abc” and “def”, the command

r.foo Abc=1 def=2

will return an error <Abd=1> is not a valid option.

GRASS 6 does not produce an error in this case. The module will run fine.

This breaks all kinds of existing scripts from GRASS6, as well as scripts that are designed to be chained together. I’ve never seen any discussion of this. Perhaps I missed it because I was in the field or something. Is there a reason for this significant change of g.parser behavior?

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)